Since we’re entering fall, I’m going to continue my trend and share another one of my favorite soups- the split pea. I know, for some people it doesn’t look so pretty, but in 2017 green is the new black, and split pea soup is downright DELICIOUS! It’s the perfect fall soup to cozy on up with your mermaid blanket and a rom-com. Just me? Lol.
Anyway, this instant pot recipe can just as well be done in a crock-pot or on the stove, but I’m a millennial that likes instant gratification, so the instant pot is my perfect muse in the kitchen. This soup will be perfect in under an hour, without having to soak your split peas at all. Sounds like a win-win to me!
- 1 bag split peas (16 oz)
- 1 cup match stick carrots
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ham hocks
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In the Instant pot on Saute mode, saute the onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Close and lock the lid, and set time for Manual at 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and the ham hocks and pull some of the meat from them to add back into the pot
- Salt and pepper to taste!